Busy doing nothing

The weekend is already almost over and I am so tired that I am almost looking forward to a week of work for the rest.

Not that I have done anything big. In fact when someone asks me tomorrow if I ‘did’ anything over the weekend, my answer will be no. It has been chock-a-block with a load of tasks though, which have left me looking forward to an early night.

I visited my parents on Friday evening, as I do every week. With my father getting older and my mother’s arthritis making even the simplest of tasks a marathon, there is often a couple of things I end up doing. Having spent the last three weeks limping, I can fully sympathise with the frustration of pain limiting your ability to get stuff done.

Saturday after waking early and walking the dogs, I went back to bed for half a hour and woke up two hours later. I took this as sign and instead of rushing out to do the weekly shop, watched a film that was due to expire soon.

I don’t live a hugely reckless life, but every now and again, a way to shake it up presents itself. The last one was with Apple TV. Every week there is one movie for rent for 99 cents, so as long as I have not seen it before, and it is not a genre that I hate (like horror, which terrifies me), I rent the movie to expand my movie watching a bit.

The week of January 26th (Australia Day), the movie I rented was Charlie’s Country, a film co-written by and starring David Gulpilil, an Aboriginal actor with the most amazing timeless quality to his face. I normally steer clear of ‘issue’ movies too but it had been sitting ready to play for a few weeks and was about to expire, so I gave it a go.

I enjoyed it. It is not the best movie I have ever seen, certainly not the most complex. Some of the characters were pretty thinly drawn, but what was undoubtedly captured was the dilemma of different people caught up in systems that are not working for them, but that are the best anyone can figure out in a no-win situation; that support them but at the same time bring temptations and troubles.

I had another movie queued, but decided that two on the trot would be slothful so headed out and picked up some stuff my mother had asked me to buy, then chugged through a whole load of household chores. At least that left Sunday free, I thought.

Not so – somehow even with the washing and cleaning done – which included clipping and washing a filthy dog, the day still got away from me. Possibly due to the extra walk I took the dogs on while I was delivering the shopping to my parents.

One thing I did manage to do was buy some tiny gelato cones that I have been wanting to try – I had a couple and they were delicious. I also just summoned up enough energy to cook a load of food so my lunches are sorted for work next week.

One of the things I made is a dish I invented, and it is really simple to make:

One onion, chopped

A couple of handfuls of green beans, trimmed and halved

A can of chickpeas

A can of chopped tomatoes

Couple of tablespoons of tomato purée

2 teaspoons of thyme

Veggie stock cube

Cup of water

Soften onion, season add herbs, then add green beans and sweat for ten mins. Add stock, tomato purée, tinned tomatoes, water to desired consistency and cook gently for ten mins or so. Add drained chickpeas, simmer for another ten minute.

Serve with rice or potatoes or couscous – delicious.

– And it is so healthy, you can have another one of those baby gelato for pudding!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s