Upon this Blasted Heath

Just a quick post today. The seasons are changing and the sun is later getting up in the morning and so, as a result am I.

The alarm is still set for 6 am but for some reason, I have been waking up during the night between 3 and 4 am and staying awake for a while. My husband’s alarm goes at 4.15 am, he then wakes me to say goodbye at 5.30 am and then I fall back into a sleep so deep, I feel like I am being dragged up from some pit of hell when the alarm goes off and it is all I can do not to hurl the phone across the room and go back down to the pit.

This morning I took the dogs to the football ovals for their walk, which meant driving them there after I had drunk a cup of tea. The last few days my head has been buzzing on the way to the park, which has meant that even though I have had my headphones in and a podcast playing, on the last few days my head has been elsewhere and it is only when I feel I need to stop and make a note that I realise that I have been off with the fairies. Perhaps the dreams that the alarm has interrupted have been leaking out.

I use the notes function on my phone and over the last few days, I have jotted down a joke about feeling a man is undressing me with his eyes, an observation about bins and a line from someone else’s poetry that I felt I could re-purpose without plagiarising.

I am not sure where all this is coming from. It has been a while since I wrote some fiction, although I have been thinking about it. Last night, I jotted down a couple of lines for fun for the blog but if I thought this would act as a release valve, I was wrong.

It was probably apt that the football ovals this morning were shrouded in a heavy mist – not that common a sight in Perth. Frankly, it did not feel unlike stepping out onto a shoot for Macbeth. While I managed to arrive at the park without having to stop and make notes, it was not long before my head was buzzing again and this time I made a couple of voice memos to remind myself of ideas. I felt like a proper writer for a few minutes as I walked around muttering into my microphone. That is how I felt; I probably looked like an escaped witch.

But then I went to work and it ended. We were busy, which was great but I didn’t get half as much down as I wanted to. One thing I did achieve tonight, though was to book tickets for a show. It won’t be my husband’s cup of tea, so I am going on my own, which I do not mind at all. I am not sure how much of a cup of tea it will be for me, but I am sure there will be something to enjoy as two of the presenters do a podcast I enjoy and two of them are interesting scientists . Of course, it will be fun and enjoyable but it helps to know that if all else fails, I can always get a blog post out of it.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s